Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Pala U Waterfall, Kaeng Krachan National Park

 This weekend we took a day trip to the Pala U Waterfall in Kaeng Krachan National Park, about an hour south of Hua Hin. The waterfall has fifteen tiers, but tourists are only supposed to climb to the fifth. Climbing higher gets really dangerous. While we were hanging out at the fifth level, we saw a lot of monks passing us to climb higher. I always love seeing monks, but they looked especially cool in the jungle because their orange robes really looked beautiful next to all the green trees.

Although the park has wild elephants and tigers, we didn't see any. There were hundreds of big brown and gold fish in each level. There were also a lot of butterflies in the park. When the truck stopped and we got out, about fifty white butterflies were all hanging out on the road. I knelt down and they were all flying in circles around me which was pretty cool. I was able to get them to sit on my fingers and some landed in my hair. There were also much bigger and more brightly colored butterflies further into the park.

These pictures are mostly taken by my friend Akshay. I didn't bring my camera because someone told me that we had to literally climb up the waterfall, and I thought my camera would get ruined in the water. Next time I won't be so gullible.

Bamboo bridge

June
Look Mom! I'm playing with a machete in the jungle!



Nate trying to catch a fish with his bare hands (he didn't--although the Thais we met at the park did)


The drive back. It started raining so we got pretty wet on the hour and a half ride home. Truck-taxis are risky when there is rain in the forecast. I am laughing, not covering my face in agony...don't worry.

Akshay
The view from the back of the truck. The drive was my favorite part. Most of it was through beautiful mountains and jungles, with a lot of temples in the distance.




Ben made a video of everyone cliff jumping. I'm not in the video because I was busy eating a snack while he was filming. It's a kind of funny video though. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KSDeumtLGA&feature=youtube_gdata_player